Saturday, February 3, 2007

Two Down

As soon as these are dry, which won't take long since today is the coldest and driest day we've had all winter, I have two FOs!



These were the least demanding of the four UFOs I am hoping to complete in February, but it is a start. Mentally I can think that I'm half done, even though finishing the two sweaters, the UFOs that are left, will take many more hours. But tomorrow, to avoid annoying the men in my family during the Super Bowl, I will work on the brown sweater. (I'm not a football fan, and I've learned that any utterance, no matter how important, is just an annoyance.) If I can finish the buttonbands, the rest will be smooth sailing. I really don't mind sewing sweater bits together. The stumbling block on this sweater is the buttonholes.

The orange scarf is the feather-and-fan scarf from Scarf Style. I used Debbie Bliss's Alpaca Silk DK, a very luxurious yarn. I personally would have trouble with it in a sweater because it stretches easily and would probably sag over time, but the scarf is a dream. I've made the same one in red (both to match pairs of leather gloves). The blue scarf is made from Acera, which I bought at the Brooks Farm booth in Rhinebeck this fall. It is wool, silk, and vicose. I usually don't like synthetics (since the specter of 1970s acrylic haunts my yarn dreams), but this yarn is lovely. I've made two of these seamen's scarves from Myrna Stahman's book on shawls and scarves, and I'm hoping that Brooks Farm shows this yarn again next October. It would make a lovely lace T, which would be fine for New York weather in spring and early fall. For those of you in warmer areas, you could wear such a garment all year round, except, perhaps for the summer.

I'm a Mac user, and Blogger only gives me the options of typing and inserting pictures, but not links. I will have links to the sources and books on my blog some time next week, when I will also show the finished scarves after they've dried.

No comments: